Thursday, July 11, 2013

Social Media and our "friend" Dr. Blincoe

As that first week went by we had visitors, phone calls, emails, texts and Facebook messages from all over the world. The kids and their friends tried to get the hastag #prayfortrouper trending on Twitter. Being sick in the 21st century is certainly different but a true and wonderful blessing. Everyone was asking for updates, I gave my phone to various people because it was too hard to keep up so someone suggested I start posting daily Trouper updates on Facebook. The outpouring of love and support was overwhelming. People who I didn't know, or hadn't heard from in twenty years, started contacting me via Facebook, checking in on our family, offering prayer and sharing memories of our Super Trouper. Reading the stories, catching up with old friends and talking to new ones kept us busy and provided us great moments of laughter. They reminded us that the world is so big yet so small and that our husband, son, father, brother and friend is loved. One story that still makes me laugh is the "Trouper and Neal went to the Guns N Roses concert" story. I have heard it thousands of times, and remember it vividly, but to hear someone besides Trouper retell it was priceless. I will always cherish the stories his Mom told about his undying love for me and how I was the only love he has ever known. Trouper can tell you the day he met me, what I was doing and the friends that were with me. It's different for me, I can't remember a time he wasn't in my life. First, as the crazy skateboarding kid at church, then as my dear friend and trusted confidant and finally, my true love. I will share one "secret", he says he loved me from the first moment he laid eyes on me, but years went by before we shared our first kiss and it was me who finally kissed him. Those moments and wonderful stories are what makes a life, and I'm so blessed to share them with Trouper.

Sometime around mid week I started towards CCU, and came upon Dr. Blincoe. I hadn't seen him in a few days and from the look on his face, the next words he spoke would probably be something along the lines of grim. I stopped, and said "are you coming for me" and he responded "no Mrs. Gamble, I am proud to say I am not coming to speak to you, your husband is slightly better today, the dialysis is working". I wanted to jump for joy and shout hallelujah! He didn't use the word grim and actually said something positive. And get this, he smiled. Yes, our friend, the grim Dr. Blincoe, smiled. Miracles never cease to amaze me! I had to run back and tell everyone the good news, and collectively we breathed a sigh of relief. Small victories, like Dr. Blincoe smiling and the word slightly, were huge to us and we were once again reminded that slow and steady wins the race. I had to go back and kiss my Super Trouper, once again reminded that it was me that kissed him first!

No comments:

Post a Comment