Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I know you like to sleep BUT.....

On Thursday, February 21st, six days into our new journey, the doctor told us they had the pneumonia, Troup's blood sugar, his blood pressure and a host of other issues under control enough that they were confident in bringing him out of his "sleep". At 4 am on Friday morning, they would start weening him off his sedation medicine. I was already emotionally drained from telling my sister and Mom goodbye but I knew that I had to be there, and be with him when he woke up. He would be scared, disoriented and confused, and I wanted the first words he heard to be from me, telling him I loved him so I ran home, took a quick shower and met his Mom and Aunt at the hospital for our overnight stay. His night nurse, whose name I can't recall, wasn't the friendliest and was a little irritated he had to give Trouper a bath. Of course I offered to help but he told me I had to leave the room and he would call me when he stopped the medication. I didn't hear from him for an hour, so I ventured back into his room and he had already started the withdrawal. I wasn't going to let one not so nice nurse rain on my parade so I gathered a pillow and blanket, made a makeshift bed in the window sill and hunkered down. An hour passed and nothing. Two hours passed and nothing. The third hour passed and I went out to stretch my legs and talk to Teresa and let her know nothing was happening. I could bore you with hour by hour details but just to summarize, this went on for four days. Those that know him know of his love of sleep. He covets his sleep, can sleep anywhere under any circumstances and never misses an opportunity for some shut eye but this was ridiculous! His parents left Sunday and were so sad that he didn't wake up before they had to leave but everyone continued taking turns staying there with him, hoping he would wake up and flash his brilliant smile, laugh his heartwarming laugh. Sunday night, DJ and Katee offered to stay the night, along with Ryan so I headed home for a few hours of sleep. Since sleep wasn't playing nicely, I headed back about 5 am and DJ said that Troup had moaned a little and was becoming a little restless so I hurried back. The nurse told me to talk to him, instruct him to wake up and try and get him to open his eyes and look at me. When I said his name he turned his head toward me and the waterworks started. Through the tears, I told him I loved him and begged him to squeeze my hand and guess what, he squeezed my hand. Slowly, he opened his eyes, and I called for the nurse. It only got better from that point, he still couldn't speak because of the ventilator but he was able to give DJ a "hook 'em" when he came to say goodbye. The kids headed up and within a few hours, they took disconnected and removed the vent and I heard the sweetest, most miraculous words, said in a slight, raspy whisper "have I told you lately that I love you?" Never would I take that voice for granted again. Never would I take a phone call or a visit for granted and I would cherish every second of conversation with the love of my life. I gave the kids some time alone, while I let all the family know he was awake and all the wonderful progress he made. We continue to be blessed, and just added another miracle to the "while you were sleeping" book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment