Thursday, May 8, 2014

Mommy Pledge

In 1914, Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation declaring the second Sunday of May Mother's Day. The first official Mother's Day was a day for Mother's to honor their sons who had died in the first World War. I know, enough of the history lesson but one day, you might be on a radio station, trying to win tickets to Def Leopard or Journey and the winning question might be about the first Mother's Day so you're welcome.

Anyway, today's blog isn't about Mother's Day, really, it's about Moms and the type of Mom I tried to be (although I probably failed). When I was growing up, I was surrounded by wonderful Moms. First and foremost is my Grandma Dorothy, who always made sure I had a new Sunday dress, pocket money and limitless piano singalongs. My Mom, Carla, who instilled in me love and respect for friends and family, always made sure I had the best of everything and taught me strength comes from within. My Great Grandma Locke, whose visits (and chocolate pie) were the highlight of my childhood and my Aunt Glenda, who always knew (and still does) the right words to say to make me feel better. My Stepmom, Benita, who always made sure my visits were filled with fun adventures and, on the night of my senior prom, told me I was more beautiful than any princess. My Aunts, Sue, Sarah and Pansy, whose visits were filled with singing, hugs and lots of love and laughter. One funny story about my Aunt Sue, when I broke up with a boyfriend, she told me there were many more fish in the sea and just because he was a PK (Preacher's Kid) didn't make him a suitable life mate so go fix my face, put on a pretty dress and let's sing! These women shaped my life, offered unconditional love and acceptance and always made sure I I felt beautiful.

No, the path of my childhood wasn't paved by a yellow brick road and rainbows and butterflies didn't follow me wherever I went but, just in case the remainder of this blog comes off as cold, I wanted you to have a glimpse of the love I felt growing up.

I grew up in a different time. Mom's were busy, not that we aren't now but it was somehow a different busy. They were trying to prove themselves in the corporate world, juggle husbands, kids, jobs and responsibilities. This meant something, or someone in their life, had to fall through the cracks. In my Mom's world, that person was me. My sister was an extremely ill child and required long and frequent hospitalizations. My brother was the only boy, and the baby, and received endless amounts of attention. I was the oldest, and usually shuffled aside for my sick sister or baby brother. Don't get me wrong, somehow I understood this then and now but, at an early age, I pledged I would be a different kind of Mom. I vowed to attend every event, no matter how small or insignificant and always make sure my kids knew I was their biggest cheerleader. I wanted them to see my face in the crowd at every choir concert, football game, and cheerleading competition. I wanted them to see me attend open house, PTA meetings and be embarrassed because I was the room mom and always hanging around. Please don't interpret this in a hurtful way, I had someone at my events, just not parents. My Papa Dub tried to be there, especially softball and football games when I cheered. He wasn't a consistent church goer but every time I sang at church, he was in the back row, sitting with all the little kids because they knew he always had candy with him.

I like to think I accomplished my goal, and I pray my kids' childhood memories reflect my efforts to be there, supporting their activities. Did I always like basketball, no, but I can tell you the difference between a guard and a forward and still know that defense wins games. Was helping the entire class of 4th grade girls sew aprons for Pioneer Day my idea of a fabulous Thursday afternoon, nope but I did and have wonderfully happy memories of them and their "creations". Did my attendance at their 11th grade Open House make a difference in their life, probably not but maybe, just maybe, it did.


As a Mom, I have done so many things wrong and everyday, the list gets longer. However the one thing I am certain that I did right was that my children always knew they were loved and they could always count on me to be in the crowd, cheering them on. So, to Ryan and Emily, I hope I fulfilled my Mommy Pledge and I hope your childhood was filled with more happiness then sadness. Always remember you know me in a way no one else ever has or will. You've opened me to things I never knew existed and although you have a way of driving me down the road to insanity, you are the beat of my heart, the pulse in my veins and the energy in my soul. To all my Mom Friends, and to the Mother's who shaped me, Happy Mother's Day and remember being a mother is actually the highest salaried job there is, because it's paid in pure love.



No comments:

Post a Comment