Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Gratitude

"As we express gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them" John F. Kennedy

I recently read an article that stated seven out of every ten patients that have either received an organ transplant, or are waiting for one, are on public assistance. This includes medicaid, food stamps and section 8 housing. I truly understand the plight of these individuals, and I am beyond grateful that my family and I haven't become one of those seven and our friends, families and even strangers have given generously towards Trouper's medical expenses and our families immediate financial needs.

Early in our journey, an old high school friend wrote me a check, no questions asked, making it possible for me to stay at the hospital with Trouper (my vacation time ran out very quickly). We've had friends who have sent us gift cards for groceries and medicine, friends who started and donated to an online fundraising site and friends who sent food over to the house or came over and sat with Trouper so I could go to work or to run errands. Because of our loved ones, we have been able to keep a roof over our heads, a car to drive to and from work and doctors and groceries in our cabinet. We have been able to afford limited home health and pay for medicine and doctor co-pays. We even splurged and bought Trouper some new shorts because he has lost almost 100 pounds and his old clothes fell off of him. That doesn't mean we haven't made sacrifices and gone without. My own health has suffered and affording the doctor and medicine for me is often difficult, our son had to put off school to help us, Emily had to quit her afternoon part time job to stay home with Trouper so we didn't have to pay for full time home health care and yes, we've done without on birthdays and holidays since our journey began. Emotionally I think we are all drained but we know that God has a plan for us, so we will live by the word thanks and continue fighting with our Super Trouper.


No comments:

Post a Comment