Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Reflections

Before I make my New Year's resolutions, resolutions I probably won't keep, I feel I should reflect on the year that was, the year of 2013. I remember my triumphs and my missteps, the promises made and the ones broken.

In January, our baby girl was accepted into two colleges and we were helping her decide her future. A mere month later, our beloved Trouper was fighting for his life, and our family was forever changed. In March, while Trouper was still in the hospital, Emily received not one but two college scholarships. In April, we took a group of teenagers to the beach, their last spring break as high schoolers while our precious son changed his life plans to be a "stay at home" son and care for his dad. May brought both highs and lows, the week we were set to celebrate our baby girls graduation, we were told Trouper wasn't getting better and would need a new heart to survive. In June we floated through, not sure what to expect and in July, we settled into a two month stay in the hospital, waiting for the gift of a new heart. August brought tears of joy and sadness. The same week our baby left for college we were told that time wasn't our friend and Trouper couldn't wait for a heart, and would need life saving LVAD surgery.

Fall faded into winter and here we are again, on New Year's Day, with another chance. A chance to forgive, a chance to do better, do more, to give more and a chance to love more. A chance to stop worrying about the what if and start embracing the what can be. So on this first day of 2014, as I reflect on the most difficult year of my life, I am reminded that greatness is on the horizon and no matter what life throws at me, I will get through it with love, patience, kindness and grace and always have another chance to get it right!


No comments:

Post a Comment