Friday, June 28, 2013

Day of visitors, day of improvements

As February 16th turned into February 17th, I noticed a little improvement in his skin color. I also noticed Dr. Blincoe didn't say the word "grim" every time I saw him and I noticed that he wasn't always at Troup's bedside, observing. I took this as a good sign, well, at the moment, I was clinging to any sign of any slight improvement as a good sign. 

The kids and their friends arrived and Emily, Ryan and I made our way back, to visit with Dad. In the ICU, you can't sit down, so the three of us stood beside him, telling him we loved him, and asking him to come back. It was heartbreaking to see the kids begging him to hold on, no child at 17 and 20 should have to see their Dad, their hero, in such a painful place. Mid morning, visitors starting arriving and honestly, we wouldn't have made it those first few days without our family and friends. Diana and Paul arrived with breakfast for the group and sat with us for hours, crying, laughing and offering their help and love. Trouper's parents arrived from Texas, along with his Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Sue, and Kim and I had took them back to see their baby. It was shocking for them, and as we tried to explain that he was actually a little better, I don't think they believed us. I don't know when he arrived but Larry showed up, he is more like family than anything and I could see the hurt on his face. Christopher, his wife Dusti and their kids Noah, Olivia and Jana arrived, and brought a liveliness to the group. Having kids around always makes things interesting. Of course Kim and Jay were there, I don't know if they really ever left those first few days, but I know I am forever grateful for their love and support. 

Mid afternoon, I looked up to see my sister and mom walk in and all I could do was hug them and cry. Seeing them made me hope, made me know, that it was all going to be okay. Their presence offered comfort to the kids and I that no other family member or friend could offer and I was so thankful they jumped on the first flight Sunday to be with us. My sister embodies the quote "and though she be but little, she is fierce" and immediately assessed the situation, asking questions, the lawyer in her taking over. Mom stood quietly, reading the monitors and asking about medications, the health care professional in her taking over. They were concerned for Ryan and Emily, realizing how hard this was on them and they were concerned for my health, insisting I sit down, get a drink and have something to eat. I am usually of the mindset that happiness is having a loving, caring, adoring family in another city but in that moment, my moment of anxiety, heartache and fear of the unknown, having them there provided some piece of mind and allowed me to finally exhale. 

Gene and Gina, our dear friends and she, my most trusted confidant, arrived. They had been on a romantic weekend when they heard the news and came straight from the mountains to be with us. Gina is the most literal, tell it like it is person I know and never filters anything. She was like "don't BS me, what's happening and how are they going to fix him"? Having her there, with her off the wall comments, love (especially for Ryan, she always says she is team Ryan) and laughter made the hours go by a little faster. 

My Dad and his family were in California, for my aunt's funeral and immediately made their way to the hospital. Once Dad and Benita and the boys arrived, I felt like everything was complete, we were in place to fight and the kids and I were surrounded with love and compassion, no matter where this journey was going to take us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment